Monday 28 May 2012

The Olympics


I encountered another over-friendly uncle last weekend.

You know the type - always introducing themselves to strangers.

Joining in with the gang.

Cracking jokes. 

Etc.

I wrote about this once before.

Anyway, I was sitting outside with the work gang, having a drink.

And on the table behind was an over-friendly uncle. 

He managed to throw several "witty" remarks in our direction within the first 5 minutes of arriving. 

----------------------------

Soon more colleagues turned up and our table was getting cramped.

And it was in the sun. 

Hot, HOt, HOT!

So we started to shuffle the table back…

…then over-friendly uncle, in grand ceremonial fashion, announced to his table;

Uncle: Come, move back, move back!

And dramatically waved his hands around, as he shuffled his own table to make space for us. 

Which was very kind of over-friendly uncle. 

Colleague: Oh, thanks a lot, thank you. 

Uncle: No problem! No problem! You have foreigner! We must make sure she's has a golden experience of Malaysia, to bring back to her country! Isn't it!
Crafty uncle has now directly picked me out and I turned to smile, appreciatively. 

And then I'm caught. 

Uncle: Which country are you from?

D'oh!

Me: ...England.

Uncle: Oh very nice. Olympics!

Me: Yup.

A slight pause. 

Over-friendly uncle is getting creative. 

Uncle: So, are you taking part?

Me: Yah, yup. 

The pause made me think that the topic had changed, and he was now referencing the work/holiday activity. 

Which I clearly was taking part in. 

And then I realised that this was probably not the case;

Me: Oh, you mean the Olympics? Am I taking part in the Olympics??

Uncle: Yes, yes!

Me: Ha! Oh right. No, I'm not. 

Uncle: Oh. I am surprise. You look…the right size. 

=.=

This will not be good. 

Uncle: Ya, you look like an athlete.

[nope. not what i look like]

…wait, what??

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

That is very much not true. 

Colleague: [under his breath] Eh, you better watch out. Soon he'll be asking for your Facebook.

O.O

*flashbacks to Alan*

jeng. jeng. jeng. 

No comments:

Post a Comment